Pick-up 2 sticks

Just another WordPress.com weblog

Mister Cochon Monday, 9th November 2009

Filed under: Photos — Brijit @ 10:40 pm
Tags: , , , , , ,

I’ve finished the Cochon Rose that I started for Etienne for Christmas. Only he is behaving so well recently, I plan to give it to him tomorrow. The pig didn’t take long at all to knit, so I’m sure I can come up with something more impressive for his Christmas present.

I can’t put the pattern up, because it is a copyrighted Phildar pattern, but I am happy to recommend the book if anyone fancies it. He is in Oxygène, which is a good choice for a little boy’s toy, as it’s got antibacterial properties, and since the details are sewn on, so there’s no need to worry about letting him sleep with Mister Cochon at his side =o)

I adapted the pattern, as I usually do, to avoid a lot of seaming – knitting in the round minus the selvedge stitches. And I filled him with some stuffing from a cheap IKEA cushion – very soft, and much much cheaper than buying a big bag of stuffing I’ll never get around to using – plus, the cushion is still more than plush enough to use, so I’ll just sew up the seam I ripped. Then instead of crocheting up a tail, I made up a quick knitted version, since I don’t have a crochet needle : Cast on 3; purl the first row, then for the second row : K, M1, K2tog. Repeat these 2 rows until it is as long as you like. Then (on a K row) K K2tog; P2tog; pull yarn through the remaining stitch & sew in ends carefully (they’re tricky to hide, but not impossible).

IMG0069AIMG0068AIMG0067A

 

Bamboo socks Friday, 6th November 2009

Filed under: Photos,Socks — Brijit @ 11:18 am
Tags: , , , , , , ,
Bamboo Socks

The promised photo, cute, eh?

So I call them bamboo socks not only ‘cos they’re in bamboo yarn, but also because I used a 2×1 rib, and that sort of makes me think of bamboo.

Normally I reinforce toes and heels with heel stitch, but this time I didn’t, since I used small needles, and so the knit is very dense anyway (they’re winter socks). I knit from the toes up, using a figure of 8 cast on, a heel-flap with wrapped short-rows for shaping and finally a tubular bind off, which has a nice effect, though I should have reduced the stitches up there. Still, the ribbing holds the socks up nicely anyway.

I would have made them a little longer, but each sock is nearly a ball of wool, and I didn’t have a source to get a third in, so never mind!